27 Apr LEMONY, CREAMY BRUSSEL SPROUTS & CELERY
If you’re looking for a unique vegetable to try, brussel sprouts are a great option! Brussel sprouts are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They also contain compounds that may help protect against cancer. You might be surprised at how much you like them now as an adult. For starters, give this high protein, tasty dish a go as part of your diet meal plan. This yummy dish will be a great asset in helping you with weight loss goals.
- Salted water (to cover)
- 1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts (cleaned and ends trimmed and scored with an “X”)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ribs celery, trimmed and cut on diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pepper to taste
- Bring the salted water to a boil.
- Drop sprouts into boiling water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. (test for doneness with a fork).
- In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter on MEDIUM until shimmery, stir in the celery and celery seed and cook until celery is beginning to soften.
- Sti in the flour and continue stirring to begin making your roux.
- Add milk 1 Tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly.
- Cook until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zest, lemon juice, pepper to taste. Toss with Brussels sprouts and serve.
- Calories: 71
- Total Fat: 3 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Net Carboyhdrates: 6 grams