22 Jul SALMON WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
On a weight loss diet? This high protein salmon recipe with caramelized onions is sophisticated, yet easy to make. Talk about a terrific meal for adult taste buds. Our salmon recipe has a slight cajun feel, which is offset by the semi-sweet sauce. Not only will this recipe help you achieve your goals, you’ll find it to be an outstanding new flavor sensation to add to your regular recipe rotation.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (not hot)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (may substitute Splenda for brown sugar)
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (1 inch thick) with skin
- 2 medium red onions (about 1 pound total), each cut into 8 wedges
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with a rub made of 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or Splenda brown sugar), 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, then cook, skin side up, until undersides form a golden crust, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn fish over and cook until just cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté onions until golden brown and crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until sauce is syrupy, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter. Place salmon on plate and top with caramelized onions.